Wednesday, November 2, 2011

30 Things: Part 1

I found this list online. It was with a site that has to do with Invisible Illness Week. I didn’t even know there was one. Anyways, I thought I would try to fill it out. 30 things you may not know about my invisible illness.

1. The illness I live with is: Multiple Sclerosis (MS).

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: I was diagnosed in 2008, on my grandmother’s birthday actually.

3. But I had symptoms since: I went to the doctor a few months before I was diagnosed with tingling in my feet, legs, and hands. I don’t know how long I had it before I was diagnosed.

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: remembering to take my medicine.

5. Most people assume: that I do not have an illness.

6. The hardest part about mornings are: waking up. I sometimes feel like I could sleep all day.

7. My favorite medical TV show is: I enjoy watching medical shows like House. I also will watch some of those mystery diagnosis type shows.

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my phone. It keeps me connected to family and friends. I don't text as much as my teenager, but I do enjoy texting. :)

9. The hardest part about nights are: wanting to go to bed before the kids. I don’t but I feel like I could most nights.

10. Each day I take: a few pills and an injection.

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: don’t do much alternative treatments besides trying to eat healthier and exercise more. There are several out there. I am sort of cautious about things though because of the mixed things I have read online.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: I think invisible. I don’t want people to feel sorry for me. Tough question. Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier if people could see that there is something going on with me. I hate the thought that people may think I am lazy.

13. Regarding working and career: It is harder to work now. But I am trying to slowly go back to working.

14. People would be surprised to know: that not everyone that has MS ends up in a wheelchair. (I thought this when I was first diagnosed.)

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: the unknown aspect of this disease. It takes a different path with everyone that has it. No one can tell you for sure what is going to happen to you.

Thanks for reading 1-15. I will post 16-30 hopefully tomorrow.

No comments: